Pages

Menu

NEW ZEALAND PARLIAMENTARIAN NOSTRADAMUS AND ANTI-ASIAN FEAR-MONGERING OF 1896


In my sleuthing of old works, quite often, I come across what I name as the same-as-it-ever-was phenomena. Here is a clip from New Zealand parliamentary debates of the third session of the Twelfth Parliament held almost 119 years ago between July 8 and 31 of 1896.


In the debate supporting the advance of a bill restricting immigration, a Kiwi parliamentarian puts forth his fear-mongering belief of the Chinese and Japanese becoming the dominate manufacturers and exporters. You can skip to page 467 about midway down the left-hand column.

As I said, this is one of those same-as-it-ever-was things.

Oh, in case you wonder how did I find this, I had been searching the topic of reciprocity, which today, politicians call Free Trade Agreements. That too is another one of those same-as-it-ever-was was things.




















Did you notice how these mates called themselves honorable as they tried to justify their fears of Japanese and Chinese?


To comment about this story or work of the True Dollar Journal, you can @ me through the Fediverse. You can find me @johngritt@freespeechextremist.com

Tell Me Your Thoughts on Gab It