Pages

Menu

BANG YOUR HEAD. AN NFL PLAYER RETIRES AFTER ONE SEASON. IS THE NFL TOO DANGEROUS OR IS IT ANXIETY DISORDER?

A season after leading the San Francisco 49ers defense in tackles, former rookie linebacker for the San Francisco 49ers, Chris Boland, announced his retirement from NFL football after playing one season. Almost everyone expressing opinion about Borland's sudden, unexpected retirement have used Borland to attack the NFL claiming the sport is unsafe.



Almost all have failed to see a likely alternative why Borland decided suddenly to end his NFL career after one season. Borland might be suffering from mind disorder associated with anxiety.

According to the National Institute of Mental Health of the National Institutes of Health, Anxiety Disorders affect about 40 million American adults in any year.

Excessive worry, irrational fears, self-doubt, and stage fright are telling signs of anxiety disorders. Other symptoms include feeling as if all eyes are upon you, feeling panic, the troublesome behavior of perfectionism. Even having problems such as falling sleep or staying asleep, muscle tension, persistent indigestion, and flashbacks might signal an anxiety disorder.

Borland has stated publicly, "I just honestly want to do what's best for my health. From what I've researched and what I've experienced, I don't think it's worth the risk. "I just thought to myself, 'What am I doing? Is this how I'm going to live my adult life, banging my head, especially with what I've learned and knew about the dangers?'" Did Borland's first year experiences fuel excessive worry, irrational fear, self-doubt?

It is likely the majority of players who have ever played NFL football never sustained concussions nor have any lasting effects from any injuries sustained in games, practices or training. According to Jeff Miller, the health and safety policy guy for the NFL,  "By any measure, football has never been safer ... concussions in NFL games were down 25 percent last year, continuing a three-year downward trend."

Of course, Borland could have quit after one year on the job merely because he doesn't like the work anymore. Millions do quit jobs soon after working.

Only Chris Borland will know his true whys.


To comment about this story or work of the True Dollar Journal, you can @ me through the Fediverse. You can find me @johngritt@freespeechextremist.com

Tell Me Your Thoughts on Gab It